So, at 21 weeks and counting I am starting to work. Really, it feels a little silly, halfway through pregnancy, and beginning a job. Not just any job, opening a private practice, and hour and a half away. Believe me, when I have shared this with friends they have looked at me like I have two heads :).
The things is- I have no aspirations to be a big career woman mom. I got my Masters when I did, because I wanted work options that could be very few hours, or full time, depending on the age of my kids, our stage in life etc... I feel really good about that decision- not the subsequent loans we now have, but the opportunities it opened will, hopefully, make it all worth it. I do know that in 15 years I am glad I will not say that I had always wanted to go into counseling, but... as I have heard many friends with teenagers say. So that's that.
A really interesting opportunity opened up for me in Livingston, TN- one spurred on by a wonderful big brother-in-law of mine. Josh works as a nurse practitioner in a family medical practice, and they have had counselors rent out a space from them in the past. He has often told me that he has had patients he wishes he could send to me for therapy, and late last year we began to talk a little more seriously about that possibility. Several trips to Livingston and meeting later, I now have an office in that practice. The doctor is a very kind man, who is very gracious with the rent he expects from me- and has already referred several patients my way. To have a medical practice referring clients is a huge deal for a beginning practice!
In addition, we have two wonderful sisters that live in the Cookeville area, very near Livingston. Melanie, and Christina have both really sweetly offered to help with childcare after Eden is born, and I begin to work again. I really love the idea of her knowing her aunties (and uncles) really well and spending more time with them than the holidays and usual few family get togethers each year. So I am really grateful for that option being there for childcare. I am so much more comfortable leaving a baby with family than a daycare, for sure!
So those are the reasons, not to justify my decision, more so to remember it later :)
I have been going up to the office once or twice a week since late January. As with any practice it takes a while to build things up. I have been spending most of my time marketing, going to doctors' offices in the area etc... I have had a few calls about appointments- though none have turned into clients yet. I think the typical stat on actual completed appointments is about 50%- and for a beginning practice in a small town, it is probably lower than that. As a result I am feeling hopeful, and honestly, just glad to be starting something now that I can return to later. Pray for favor for me in this new adventure :)
In other news- the kind that brings a paycheck- I am working as an art teacher in our church's School of Fine Arts. It is basically a network of music, drama, and art educators. I have one student who is incredibly talented in many areas. It feels really good to use that part of my giftings, even in a small way.
I am also leading a group at the Babb Center called Griefshare. Its a support group for people who have lost a loved one. Three weeks into it, and I am really challenged by leading my first therapy group. I am doing it as a volunteer, and it feels really good to use my training to serve in our church. It is not easy to find ways to do that- doing in-depth counseling for a friend or a friend/family member of a friend is never a good idea for a therapist... it can get really complicated really quickly. So this support group is perfect. It will be a good experience I think, and one that will add to my therapy hours as I work towards liscensure.
I know- blah blah about me- and no pretty pictures even! Here, I'll repost a pic of me in my new office at 22 weeks- Eden first day to work with me (in utero:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment