Eden Marie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

gluten free dairy free- ness

So I want to share some stuff about my health journey the past 8 months or so..


I haven't really mentioned it on here- but back in November I began to finally see a doctor for some troubling digestive issues I had been having for a while.  Through some blood tests and a 28 day (!) elimination diet- (over the holidays I should add!) We came to the conclusion that along with some serious vitamin deficiencies, I was also probably gluten and dairy intolerant.  I'll be honest- if it had been almost any other combination of things I think it would have been easier to hear.  Since that dr. appt I have come to realize just how much of my previous diet contained these two things.  In fact, almost every meal I ate contained some form of gluten and/or dairy.  No wonder I always felt sick!  It really was amazing about two weeks into my dr.s diet that I realized just how badly I had felt before.  It was like I had grown so accustomed to feeling awful, I no longer realized that it wasn't normal.  That was really motivation enough for me to stick with this new way of eating. 

Over the past several months we have had a major lifestyle change.  I am now aware of almond, rice, quinoa etc... flours.  I now know that 99% of gluten free bread tastes like cardboard- only worse.  I also now know that I absolutely can not handle dairy substitutes- specifically in the cheese category- and oh how I miss my cheese! Jeff mostly eats what I do but we keep bread and cheese for him to have sandwiches with, ad a few other things too.  He has a special drawer in the pantry for his stash, and its out of sight out of mind for me! :)
On the plus side of things- I am- for the first time in my life- trying to be more concerned with taking care of myself than pleasing others- such as the host at a party serving delicious food I can't eat.  Many of us are pleasers, and I am no exception in many areas of my life.  Now I was faced with a dilemma- I can be easy going and just eat what is offered, but then I will feel sick for the next few days.  It sounds easy, but it really was/is a hard thing to do in some situations. I don't think I will ever like being the high maintenance one that has to pick the restaurant/menu because of my food issues :) That is now an everyday part of my life.
I think I also have rally gained a lot of confidence in my ability to be self disciplined.  I, unlike my husband, have a very hard time maintaining routine and being self disciplined.  After the 28 day elimination stuff I realized that I am capable of being in charge of my own body/habits.  So, 20lbs lighter now- it's really a life changing thing to have experienced. 
hey- I do before and afters for the house all the time- why not now too? :) Hey, Jeff looks a lot better too! :)

No comments: