Eden Marie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 29, 2010

mmmhmmm

So-
We are obscenely behind in posting- I admit that.
Even so, I just needed to share this, (I'm having fun being creative and thrifty again):
 Pottery Barn has got nothin' on me. :) Aside from a better camera...

I don't have a before of the lamp- imagine a brass nasty thing from a yard sale- $4
and then there's the chair:

A generous gift from the sweet mother in law- $2.50. Many of you family members have sat in it over the past few gatherings- if it's hard to recognize- imagine a throw draped over it to conceal all its worn out glory... And yes- I pried each and every nail head off.  My hand cramped up many times that day.

Many coats of paint, polyurethane, and some fabric I'd picked up many years ago and voila! I wanted a lacquered accent chair with a fun print, and I'm quite pleased. :)

As for the lamp- I was perusing Pottery Barn's latest catalog just before leaving to go yard sale-ing yesterday.  And saw the distressed beauty you see top left of this post.  $150- of course. 
I spied my version right after falling in love with the newest member of our family;


I've always wanted a stone animal to guard our home! (And dress up for the holidays). I think we'll call him Leo.

But I digress: Back to the lamp- tons of spray paint(sorry environment... and my lungs) 3 coats of white, one coat of oil rubbed bronze and then two more coats of white.  followed by strategic rubbing and general abusing of the smooth paint job.  I went for a more subtle distress- I often feel Pottery Barn's distressing looks like a repeating stamp.  And I fell in love with the bright white flat finish as I painted.  So, subtle it is.

Oh and one more thing- I am now officially a craigslist seller- not buyer.
I sole this- and all its counterparts (sorry if someone out there bought it for us- we loved it well in many many homes)

and made this:
which has tons of yummy texture- one of my favorite things!


I have many more plans- will show as time goes on.  Don't you just love summer?
Happy memorial day everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your lamp and chair! You are so talented!