Eden Marie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thankgiving part 1 & 2


Happy Thanksgiving! We have a system set up with our families, one year we spend thanksgiving with my side, and Christmas with Jeff's... the next year we switch. This year we stayed local for Turkey day(s) with my family. Because my parents are divorced we have always spent Thanksgiving Day with my dad, and celebrated with my mom either the day before or day after... depending on how it works out schedule-wise. My mom has always said we practiced for splitting time between family and in-laws early with our splitting our time between parents like we've always done. :)

Today we celebrated with a smaller crowd than usual. My step-grandfather passed away just a few weeks ago and also my brother and sister-in-law now live thousands of miles away, and my stepbrother and sister-in-law were at her family's. Confused yet? All that to say, we kept it simple, yet fun... and we all met at a nearby Shoney's. Instead of our usual 12-14 we were only 7. But we chowed down on the buffet and free pie... I attempted to resist and order something "healthy" and cheaper from the menu... but with no luck.

(Though Jack did find something healthy to chew on later at our house :)
Shoney's is just not the place to eat healthy apparently :) We then all headed back to our wonderful little basement apartment which was newly cleaned up.. to watch football,

and Jack's cuteness,

and the dogs' antics.
I made desserts we all were too full to eat and coffee and mulled cider. I introduced Ma to our blogs, and enjoyed playing hostess. I had thought we still didn't have the space to entertain, but I think we actually do. This is the first place we've lived that I have felt we mostly had enough space for us. Even so, having a place truly our own will be a fun thing, whenever we are blessed with that. For now our wonderful basement is an ENORMOUS-ly wonderful blessing. I want to post pics of it next time. Especially while its still clean :) I'm hoping to get our Christmas stuff out tomorrow, or sometime this weekend. Yay for the holidays!
After a sufficient amount of football, we headed to my uncle Man's house just down the road to see the South Korean part of my family... and I will have to say it was probably the most fun I've had with that family. There are several cousins all around my age and most are either not married or without kids. We hung out and Jeff found some kindred spirits in the ones that play guitar and we played a few amazing games of Mad Gab... in which the girls came out triumphant... every time!
All in all a wonderful day. Its so crazy to think back over this past year and what might have been and what actually is. I really love our life right now. I feel like Jeff and I are really starting to know each other and work together cohesively... most of the time :) I love our little dwelling, our little dog, being relatively near family, working towards a goal I'm excited about, and so many other things. Even so the combination of my sweet nephew, a new pudgy step cousin, and our "landlord's" amazing granddaughter paying a visit has made me a little sad. Just a little. I have so much time for that, I know... And I'm happy to remember that... but I am definitely very excited to be a mommy one day to babies here with me, not just to my precious little one in Heaven. I have always known that my children will be my greatest contribution to the world... and God's timing is perfect... as always. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you got some great pics, please don't be offended if I "steal" some for our blog too...I'll give you the credit. :) We had fun in your fabulous place and look forward to next weekend with another "par-tay!"
And if there is anything the past 2 years or so has taught me, it's that the Lord's plans and timing are always better than ours. Even if we don't realize for a long while. Even now, I have Jer. 29:11 ringing in my head.